If you’re shopping around for a green laser pointer, you have likely seen many different designs, output powers, safety features, and components. Green lasers can range in power from <5mW up to 1,000mW in handheld form. How do you know the right power level for what you want to do with the laser? Understanding the different power options is crucial to making sure you don’t go with a model that underperforms your expectations or is overkill for what you need.
What is Your Main Application for a Green Laser?
What exactly are you trying to do with the laser? Lasers can be used for many different purposes and are a useful tool for many people. Green lasers are regularly used for:
- Astronomy and Stargazing
- Burning Laser Experiments
- Arborist and Landscaping Use
- Construction Crews
- Fire Rescue Teams
- Law Enforcement
- Armed Forces
- Scientific Research
- Goose Control / Pest Control
- Target Practice & Riflery
But these applications require different output power levels. A 30mW green laser that is great for astronomy at night will not be suitable for a burning experiment or goose control. Neither will a 100mW. Outdoor goose control in the flush sun, for example, requires a minimum of 500mW in 532nm green laser light to work properly. Go with a 200mW and the geese will not flee unless it is nighttime. But a 200mW is ideal for an arborist who needs to point out limbs of a tree that need to be removed, or a warehouse facility where workers can point to high shelves.
Knowing what each power level can do can be confusing. Let’s go over the basics.
Understanding Green Laser Light Output Powers
Breaking down the powers will help you understand which unit will be your best option. Take a look at what each range can do. (This is a short-list, the suitable applications are greater so use this as a guideline)
- 5mW – 15mW Green: great for presentations and indoor classroom settings, basic astronomy, small-scale photography. Not suitable for outdoor daytime use.
- 50mW – 100mW: great for nighttime astronomy, large auditorium presentations, warehouse work (freight & supply chains), photography. Not suitable for outdoor daytime use.
- 200mW – 300mW: astronomy, warehouse work, landscapers and arborist crews, fire rescue teams, riflery. Outdoor daytime range of 50 – 100 feet maximum.
- 400 – 500mW: burning laser (light matches, pop balloons, cut electrical tape, etc), the starting point for goose control, long-distance night signaling, military exercises, longer-range riflery (100m scope zeroing). Visible for 15 – 20 miles at night. Outdoor daytime use of 100 -300 feet.
- 500mW – 1,000mW: best for burning, best for daytime goose control and other pest control, riflery at 300m+, visible for over 20+ miles at night. Outdoor daytime use 300 – 1000 feet. The strongest available for civilian use is 1,000mW in green.
Now that you have an idea of what the various green laser outputs can accomplish, you can start to narrow down the designs you’re considering.
Our Best Selling 100mW & 200mW Green Laser Pointer
The GX3 100mW or 200mW green laser pointer is our most popular green laser and for good reason. It offers:
- Rugged design backed by a 1-year warranty
- Focus adjustable, allowing you to pinpoint the beam or widen it for accuracy as needed
- Suitable for all indoor and much outdoor daytime use
- Long nighttime range exceeding 10 miles.
- Rechargeable batteries + charger
- Protective belt loop holster
- Wrist lanyard to prevent drops
Take 20% off the GX3 for a limited time with code: 20OFFGX3
Have Questions About Lasers or Need Some Guidance?
We are here to help. Phone support is available Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm EST. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions or need some guidance on choosing the right laser for your application.